Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Jessica's song makes Chow Kah cry and...





(Pix of models for illustration purpose only)

"Everybody," says Jessica (pix above), "I'm going to sing a Hokkien song."

"Great!" I say, and Hussein lets out a whistle.

Rising to her feet from the settee, she goes to the mike at the far end of the karaoke room. Wati aims the remote at the karaoke machine. A moment later, music and Chinese lyrics with English translation start to appear on the monitor standing against one wall.

"Title of my song is 'Wife', " Jessica says. She start to sings in Hokkien:



有一日咱若老
(有一天我們要是老了)
When we grow old


有一日咱若老
(有一天我們要是老了)
When we grow old

找無人甲咱有孝
(找不到人孝順我們)
And have no kids around

我會陪你坐惦椅寮
(我會陪你坐在長凳上)
I'll accompany you to sit on the bench

聽你講少年的時陣你有外摮
(聽你講你年少時的風光)
And you'll be bragging about how smart you were in your younger days

吃好吃醜無計較
(不在意吃得飽不飽 穿得好不好)
Who would never care for a good life

怨天怨地嘛袂曉
(也不怨天 不怨地)
Never complain about bad luck

你的手
(你的手)
Your hand

我會甲你牽條條
(我會緊緊握住)
I'll hold it tight

因為我是你的家後
(因為我是你的妻子)
'Cause I'm your wife

阮將青春嫁置恁兜
(我將自己的青春奉獻給你的家庭)
We married young

阮對少年跟你跟甲老
(我從年輕就跟了你)
And since the day
You've been the one I look up to
The one who lead me through life

人情世事已經看透透
(早已看透所有人情世故)
Have come to understand about life
About the ruthless game men play

有啥人比你卡重要
(還有誰比你重要)
And I realize
No one can ever be more important than you

阮的一生獻乎恁兜
(我把一生都奉獻給你家)
Being your housewife
Looking after the family
I'd spent a lifetime

才知幸福是吵吵鬧鬧
(才知道幸福是吵吵鬧鬧)
To finally understand
Hidden in our conversations and quarrels is true happiness

等待返去的時陣若到
(當歸去的時候來到)
When the time comes

我會讓你先走
(我會讓你先走)
Please go first, dear

因為我會不甘放你為我目屎流
(因為我不忍心讓你為我哭)
'Cause I don't wanna see you shed tears for me
For it’ll be too much pain for me to bear


Everybody applauses except Chow Kah. I turn to look at him. My eyes widen in shock. He's crying and drying his tears with a handkerchief. He blows his nose. "I'm sorry, everybody -- I want to go home to my wife."

What an odd declaration from a man whose reputation would make most men look like a monk! I realize mentally.

Wati (right pix above) nods and says, "Gentlemen, your wives comes first, even though you may come to Hot Legs Niteclub to sing and drink." Her voice becomes choked with emotion. "Let's call it a night, everybody. This song is too sentimental for me, too."

/end


No comments: