Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

“What a stupid cover by Time magazine!” hoots Mummy Lulu

 


“Have you seen this cover before, Ewe?” Mummy Lulu asks. “It’s the July 2013 edition of highly respected Time magazine.” She sets the magazine in front of me. Now, it’s not respected by me anymore!”

I push my mug of beer aside. “Where did you get his?” I turn to the cover story. “So, this monk’s U Wirathu.”

“In my gynecologist’s waiting room. Doctors are notorious for stocking old magazines in their waiting rooms. This is shitty journalism. Buddhism has been equated to terrorism. Simply because Wirathu is an anti-Rohinga firebrand in his speeches. Sri Lanka banned this particular edition.  The article also claimed that several Buddhist Myanmars in Malaysia have been killed!”

“By who? Why?”

“By Rohingas in Malaysia. Reason? As revenge for the killing of fellow Rohingas back in Myanmar.”

I grimace. “Ouch, I’ve a sudden attack of stomachache.” I tear off the front cover of Time magazine and several inside pages. “Permit me to use them as toilet paper, please.”

Mummy Lulu shoots me a horsey-teeth grin. “Be my guest, Ewe.”

 /end

No comments: