Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Jessica shops for a naughty Christmas present

Inside a store in KL’s Pavilion, several strides away from me, my gaze lands on a woman squatting to check out products on the bottom shelf of a rack.  Fire scorches my cheeks as I admire her generous breasts.  Her chin lifts and it draws my gaze to the curve of her regal neck and the delicate lines of her heart-shaped face. Recognition dawns. It’s Jessica!

I pin my gaze on her face, the sparkle in her eyes making my heart swoop.  “Hi, Jessica!”

Jessica rises to her feet, clasps her hands behind her back and stoops. “Hey, Ewe, fancy meeting you here.” Her hazel eyes dance with a question. “Buying something as a Christmas present?”

“A while ago, I was one floor down.” My gaze hop-scotches to Jessica’s black boots and back to her face. “Looking for a polycarbonate luggage bag for my friend. He’s twenty-eight and still staying with his parents.” My knowing voice  edges to preachy. “You know, a Christmas present must suit the recipient-to-be.”

“Last Christmas, I told my boyfriend I wanted a present with lots of diamonds in it.” Jessica pinches her brows. “He complied with my request.”

“Wow, a generous boyfriend! Did he get you a diamond necklace?”

“No! A pack of playing cards!” She closes her eyes for a beat as if to re-capture the disappointment of the memory.


Humour and ire war in my veins. “That’s hardly funny.”

Jessica thrusts her chin out, hands parked on her hips. “Last week, he sent me a text message. Said that if I give him anything funny this Christmas to get even, he would burn it!”

I fold my arms across my chest. “So, what have you decided to buy him?”

A shrill laugh tumbles from Jessica’s throat. “A candle!” Her eyes become mere slits of brown. “So that he can burn it!”

 /end

No comments: