Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sun Fong Bak Kut Teh ideal to give foreign friends a treat





[Hah? This serving is for two people? You gotta be kidding!] [Pixs copyright Ewe Paik Leong]

Driving into Medan Imbi, I signal to the Myanmar worker hanging outside Sun Fong Bak Kut Teh that I’m a customer-to-be. He removes a wooden X-stand at the road side to allow me to park my jalopy.

At the table, a waitress places a cutlery set -- wrapped in plastic -– in front of me. The number of items on the menu is impressive. Not only is bah kut teh -- dry and soup and several other versions -- available, steamed fish, tofu, vegetables and yellow wine chicken are also listed. There’s a choice of either white rice or oil rice.

A tourist bus arrives, discharging a horde of tourists, who fill up the fan-ventilated restaurant. Ah, no wonder the restaurant is so big and has so many tables.

When my bah kut teh arrives, my heart sinks as the serving is small. My disappointment doubles when I slurp the soup: it lacks herbal aroma. The oil rice is okay, nothing memorable.

How’s the toilet? It's clean and toilet paper is supplied.

Sun Fong Bak Kut Teh is one of those restaurants where you can treat your foreign friends to so-so pork-rib soup without being embarrassed about the cleanliness of the place. It's also ideal for an extra early breakfast.

Address:
35 to 39, Medan Imbi
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2141 4064
Business hours: 5am to 12midnight daily.

/end

No comments: