Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Choong Kee Kampar Claypot Rice uses quality ingredients



Three weeks ago, I said that – from vague recollections -- Choong Kee Kampar Claypot Rice is better than Heun Kee Claypot Chicken Rice. On Saturday, I visited Choong Kee in Damansara Jaya to reprise my role as taster-cum-critic. When I got there, I almost shouted “Whoopee!” Lots of parking spaces were available as I was early. Inside the restaurant, a plastic sign has the words "Charcoal Cooked" on it.


The claypot chicken rice and old cucumber soup tasted flavourful. Not because of any special cooking technique -– as opposed to Heun Kee -- but simply because quality ingredients are used, from the sausages to the salted fish and the rice. The sausages are succulent and soft, the salted fish exhales a tempting aroma and the rice is short and fluffy. Heun Kee’s ingredients are less refined.

After my tuck-in, I went to the washroom. Good heavens! Located adjacent to the kitchen, it was like a sauna. How the Indonesian workers can stand the hot stuffy atmosphere in the kitchen beats me.

“Are you really from Kampar?” I asked Irene, the proprietress, when I paid the bill.

“Of course. I still go back to Kampar frequently.”


Prices are as follows:
Claypot Chicken Rice: RM16 (Big) RM8.50 (Small)
With Salted Fish: RM17.00 (Big) RM9.00 (Small)
With Sausage: RM17.00 (Big) RM9.00 (Small)
With Sausage + Salted Fish: RM18.00 (Big) RM9.50 (Small)

Address:
80 Jalan SS22/25
Damansara Jaya
Petaling Jaya
[Near KDU]
Tel: 017-871 7739
Closed on Wednesday

/end

No comments: